This week has been quite a year.
Needing to reacquaint myself with rest after a tough semester, still in the deep at work. My body has pulled me to rest through pain; told me I was done pushing and need to slow down and remember how to rest. I arrive where I often do, on my mat, resting my body and nervous system from the go-go-go. Resting my eyes from screens. Resting my mind from the thousands of thoughts that keep on coming. Resting my heart from critique and holding. Even when we “know better” it can get away from us, so. . .
This weekend I intend to hold space for me to get quiet, reconnect, and practice self-care—physical rest, exercise, nourishing meals, activities that fill my soul—so I may show up for others with a full heart and presence.
Rest can be practiced in many different ways. Think about what will really nourish you–not just collapsing in exhaustion in front of the TV (and believe me I do that myself!)–quality recovery and rest. How might you recover physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually? Here are some ideas (in no particular order):
- A walk in nature (any exercise can help us recharge, this round doesn’t need to be all out, do something you enjoy at a comfortable pace–take your time)
- Making a favorite dish to enjoy yourself or share with a friend/family
- Taking a nap (preferably 20 min to help you recharge or 120 min to get a full sleep cycle in)
- A hobby or activity you love but haven’t done in a while
- Read poetry
- Yoga nidra (I love Rod Stryker’s app Sanctuary or anything from the Himalayan institute)
- Undistracted time with your kids or pets (I love me some play and cuddle time with my fury girls)
- Watch a favorite movie
- Read a real book, for pleasure
- Listen to your favorite album
- Eat whole food, limiting or eliminating highly processed and high sugar foods
- Play a board game
- Drink lots of water
- Journal – 3 items each – what are you proud of this week, what are grateful for, what do you want to improve?
- Take 10-15 minutes to be with quiet, you don’t need to do anything special, you might even lie down, not sleeping, just resting
- Don’t over schedule, better yet, can you take one day to not schedule anything!?
- Try not to multi-task for part or all of your day
How are you resting this week?